Pages

CJ - Quote

Card Jewels by Aixa M. - Food for thought: "Forever is composed of nows." (Emily Dickinson)

Friday, April 20, 2012

Birthday Wishes - Originally Posted 2/12/12


This post was transferred from my previous blog.  I had technical difficulties so I could not transfer any comments.  Feel free to post one! 

 "Hello, everyone!  Today I'm posting a birthday card I made for Stamp TV's Monday Challenge which calls for adding texture.  I needed to make a card for my neighbor's birthday, so I went ahead and added some texture!  Here's my card:


I used dry embossing to make the background of the card.  I did that by stamping the flower with Versamark clear ink and then sponging with over it with Memento Dandelion and Cantaloupe inks.  For a splash of color and more dimension I colored the flower and cut it out to place over the ribbons.  It's kind of hard to see on the picture but I added a yellow rhinestone in the middle of the flower.  So my elements of texture are: embossing, ribbons, cut-out flower, and rhinestone.  

I have been wanting to make a box for a long time but (confession) they kind of intimidated me...  Last night I was blog hopping and was particularly captivated by a cute little card set by Melissa Cash (you can see it here).   So I decided to take the leap and make a box!  I did take baby steps so I made a simple box: 


The finished box size is 3.25" x 5.5".  I filled it with coconut treats (my neighbor loves coconut)! 

 


For those of you who, like me, might be 'box-challenged' (LOL), or if you just want to make a simple box, these are the steps I took (please bear with me!):

1. Take an 8.5" x 11" heavy weight cardstock ( I used Gina K Designs Pure Luxury) and score it (on the long side) at the following lengths: 1.5", 4.75", 6.25" ,  and 9.5"



2.  Rotate cardstock and score at: 1.5" and 7.0"



3.  Cut 'tabs' on long side of cardstock


4. Place tape on the outside of short tabs to adhere to long tab.  I did not have Scor tape handy so I used extra strong adhesive strips I found at my local craft store (they work pretty good).


5. Adhere tabs on all sides in the same manner as step 4


6. You're done!  Decorate as you please and fill up to your heart's content! On the pictures I used white cardstock but as you can see from my finished project, you can choose to use color cardstock and embellish.  You can get as fancy or simple as you want!  




Here's the finished project of the card/box set:




Hope you enjoyed the visit and if you have not taken the leap to make a box, I hope this post helps you in taking the next step! 

Thanks for stopping by! " 
Have a bright day!
Aixa

No comments:

Post a Comment